The culmination of a year’s worth of work for Jr. High Rodeo contestants all comes together at the State Rodeo finals. The California High School Rodeo Association divides rodeo participants into Jr. High and High School groups. The Jr. High rodeo contestants compete against other California Jr. High rodeo participants for a spot on California’s team which traveled to Nationals the latter part of June.
Members of our SLO County Jr. High rodeo community were among the 25 contestants which California High School Rodeo Association, District 7 (Ventura-San Luis Obispo Counties), sent to the State Finals held in Red Bluff, California May 16-19, 2018. All 25 rodeo stars put forth a gallant effort; each with his or her eye on a spot on California’s Team going to Nationals, June 24 -30, 2018 in Huron, South Dakota.
Rodeo Stars Tell Us About Their Nationals Experience
Katelyn Browder (team roping & breakaway) and her triplet sister, Delany Browder (team roping) competed in team roping together. When asked to share about her experience Katelyn replied, “My biggest challenge in getting to nationals was not being able to compete on the horse I had qualified with. Days before we left, my good heel horse was injured and I couldn’t take him. Instead, I took a different horse that I never even rode before. It took a lot of last-minute practice to get together with him and was grateful to place 5th in the team roping average with my sister, Delaney.”
“I enjoyed team roping this year with my triplet sister, Katelyn. Since my Dad is our coach, practicing and attending rodeos is a fun family affair. We made special family memories with our trip to the Nationals in South Dakota,” added Delaney.
California District 7 Jr. High Rodeo Contestants Finish Strong
At the State Finals, rodeo contestants competed in two full Go-Rounds and a Finals Go-Round where the top 15 contestants competed. Out of the 25 contestants District 7 sent to State Finals, 21 competed in the Short Go-Round, or the Finals, with 19 of those competitors placing in the top ten of their events.
Events that had District 7 competitors included Saddle Bronc Steer Riding, Boys Goat Tying, Girls Goat Tying, Girls Breakaway Roping, Boys Breakaway Roping, Tie Down Roping, Ribbon Roping, Team Roping, Pole Bending, and Barrel Racing.
Jr High School Rodeo also includes the shooting sport of Light Rifle, which is a 3-position shooting competition. The top four in each event qualify for Nationals.
15 Jr. High Rodeo Stars of CHSRA District 7 Were National Qualifiers
District 7 has 15 National Qualifiers with four who qualified in two separate events.
First Go Round winners include:
- Murt Stewart who split 1/2 in the Boys Goat Tying with a time of 9.86;
- Grace Perez in Girls Goat Tying with an 8.54;
- Makenna Machado in Barrel Racing with a 17.960;
- Delaney & Katelyn Browder in Team Roping with a time of 13.53.
Second Go Round winners include:
- Sage Pearce in Girls Breakaway Roping with a 2.96;
- Sage Pearce in Girls Goat Tying with a 7.80; and
- Lonnie Masopust who split 1/2 with a score of 64.
Short Go Round winners include:
- Parker Jones in Boys Goat Tying with a time of 9.09
Congratulations to District 7’s Nationals Qualifiers and State Champions:
- Delaney Browder, San Luis Obispo, CA: Team Roping-Header (3rd place)
- Katelyn Browder, San Luis Obispo, CA: Girls Breakaway Roping (4th place), Team Roping-Heeler (3rd place)
- Tucker Donlon, Santa Maria, CA: Chute Dogging (1st place)
- Haliegh Grant, Santa Maria, CA: Barrel Racing (4th place),Team Roping-Header (4th place)
- Kadin Javadi, Paso Robles, CA: Light Rifle (1st place)
- Parker Jones, Solvang, CA: Boys Goat Tying (3rd place)
- Makenna Machado, Santa Maria, CA: Barrel Racing (2nd place)
- Lonnie Masopust, Los Olivos, CA: Saddle Bronc Steer Riding (4th place)
- Sophia Patino, Santa Maria, CA: Girls Breakaway Roping (1st place)
- Sage Pearce, Santa Maria, CA: Ribbon Roping (4th place), Team Roping- Heeler (4th place)
- Grace Perez, Castaic, CA: Girls Goat Tying (3rd place)
- Addie Shelly, Solvang, CA: Pole Bending (4th place)
- Luke Shelly, Solvang, CA: Ribbon Roping (4th place), Saddle Bronc Steer Riding (3rd place)
- Murt Stewart, Templeton, CA: Boys Goat Tying (2nd place)
- Kincade Varian, Parkfield, CA: Tie Down Roping (2nd place)
Three District 7 Jr. High Rodeo Stars Were State Champions
- Sophia Patino – Girls Breakaway
- Tucker Donlon – Chute Dogging
- Kadin Javadi – Light Rifle
Final results from the Jr. High Nationals can be found on the NHSRA website.