By Kathy Longacre/SLOPOST
Carrot Fest II a multi-user trail work and ride weekend. We will work and play together, building on our already good relationship between hikers, bikers and equestrians.
Starts Friday 5/31 thru Monday 6/3 at Horse Camp.
Coast Mounted Assistance (MdO), CCCMB, SLOPOST, CA State Parks and Central Coast Parks Association have partnered to have the second Carrot Fest at Montana de Oro State Park. This year the MdO Endurance Ride is taking this year off so we are having the Carrot Fest on the same weekend.
The schedule is just an outline of what we plan to do.
- CA State Parks has provided the entire Horse Camp from Friday noon 5/31 thru Monday noon 6/3
- Friday is on your own, maybe we will have potluck if people are interested
- Saturday will be a multi-user Trail Work Day from 9 to 1pm with some type of late lunch that day. We will learn from each other how best to keep our trails safe and in good condition for all users.
- Sunday will be a multi-user Trail Ride to build confidence in how to better share trails with a pizza lunch to follow.
- Horse camping will be reserved with a $25 check per corral made out to SLOPOST and mailed to Kathy Longacre at address below. If you show up and help out for the approximate 4-5 hours on Saturday your check will be returned, or you can donate it towards trails in Montana de Oro.
- Free camping for those without a horse will be available too.
Reservations will be taken starting in early March. I will send out an email to all the groups when we get closer.
Please put this very fun event on your calendar. We hope to have a great turn out and CCCMB already has it on their Trail Work Schedule for this spring.
The first year SLOPOST provided a road base type soil to fill in low corrals, low spots on the roads, repaired corrals, added signage and maps, wheelbarrows and rakes, and installed hitching post to all the horse camps, besides working on trail maintenance projects. We will be making a list of needed repairs to horse camp again this year. So there is something for everyone to help with.
Coast Mounted Assistance will be working on a list of both trail projects and repairs/upgrades needed for horse camp. Central Coast Concerned Mountain Bikers will have some trail brushing projects, along with help from CA State Parks maintenance staff.
So if you would like to reserve a corral please send me an email to:
And then I will ask you to send in a deposit of $25 per corral to hold your spot.
Check will be made out to: SLOPOST
Then mailed to:
6440 Corral de Piedra
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401