It’s that time of year again horse camping enthusiasts! Time for horse camping and fun at Montaña de Oro State Park. The Coastal Mounted Assistance volunteer group is organizing yet another horse camping and fun weekend at Montaña de Oro October 7-11, 2021.
Looking for places to go horse camping in San Luis Obispo? Get the complete list and descriptions with the SLO County Horse Camping Guide.
Horse Camping and Fun for Everyone
There are many trails one can explore from Hazard Horse Camps within Montaña de Oro State Park near Los Osos, California. Riders unfamiliar with the trails can be part of the Friday (10/8) afternoon guided trail ride (leaves at 2:00 pm) or Sunday (10/10) morning’s guided trail ride (leaves at 10:00 am).
Four days of horse camping will provide you ample time to explore the beaches, the eucalyptus forests, the vista views and the mountain peaks which are all part of rides from Hazard Horse Camps.
CMA Horse Campout Fun Schedule
- Thursday afternoon, October 7 – First day campers can arrive.
- Friday, October 8 – Optional guided trail ride leaves at 2:00 pm.
- Saturday, October 9 – 6:00 pm potluck dinner with other campers over at Madrone Camp. Bring your own dish to share, your own meat to cook and your own place settings.
- Sunday, October 10, 2019 – Poker Ride & BBQ – Benefits Central Coast State Park Association and keeps the horse camp and park trails maintained. Guided trail ride leaves at 10:00 am.
Poker Ride Fun Schedule – Sunday October 10, 2021
- 8:00 am – Registration table opens
- 9:00 am – 1:00 Ride trails at your leisure
- 10:00 am – Guided trail ride leaves
- 1:00 – Chips and Salsa, veggie tray available in BBQ area
- 1:30 – BBQ is served
- 2:30 – Poker Hands and Silent Auction items awarded
Four Days of Horse Camping for $85.00
Four days of horse camping in one of the premier spots in all of California is available to anyone who wants to join in on the fun. The camping and registration fee is $85.00 per horse/rider. Campers do not all have to be horse riders. Hikers and bikers can enjoy the trails too.
- Riders who can’t camp, but who would like to participate in the Sunday Poker Ride fun are welcome to register and haul-in for the day for $45.00/horse and rider pair.
- Non-riders can enjoy the BBQ for $20.00/ person
- Extra Poker hands are $5.00/hand
Pre-Registration for Horse Camping and Fun is Necessary
Get registered for this fun extended weekend. Closing date for Pre-registration is September 30, 2021 after that there is a $10.00 late fee. First-come-first-served – the camp could fill up and you and your horse would not have a spot.
Gather your horse camping friends and family and be ready to camp at Hazard Horse Camps. A pipe corral will keep your horse, but only non-potable water is available. RV and tent camping is welcome. You will pack out all trash and clean your horse’s stall before you leave.
Ride the beautiful trails in Montaña de Oro, eat, camp with your horse, enjoy friends old and new, plus play poker for prizes. All this fun is to benefit Coast Mounted Assistance volunteer horse patrol group and the Central Coast State Park Association.
Photo Credit: Lynda Roeller Photography
Go Horse Camping! Explore the wonder and beauty of the SLO County trails from the best place on earth, the back of a horse. You and your friends and family plus horses can camp right next to the trails! To help you get packing, you can use this FREE Horse Camping packing checklist. We’ll continue to post horse camping stories on the SLO Horse News website. You can stay up-to-date by becoming a SLO Horse News herd member. Get your Horse Camping Checklist here >.