Imagine horse camping fun while learning and experiencing new skills and gaining horse care knowledge. “A day gone by of learning something new about horses shouldn’t happen,” says Jeannie Keeffe, the event organizer.
Looking for places to go horse camping in San Luis Obispo? Get the complete list and descriptions with the SLO County Horse Camping Guide.
Multi-Educational Horse Camping Fun
This multi-educational horse camping fun takes place July 22-25, 2022 at Black Bear Equestrian Camp, Lopez Lake, CA. Everyone from age 4 to 104 who loves horses is invited to camp and trail ride on their own horse. Don’t have a horse? Simply show up for the education without a horse.
Jeannie and the Black Bear Riders crew have put together the most extensive horse camping fun and educational program from the ground up. Campers will be learning from experienced horse people:
- Learn what to do if your horse is injured at home, stable or while out on the trail.
- Know what to do for your horse before the vet arrives.
- Get introduced to Mounted Archery.
- Snakes are a constant in our area and we all need to know more about them, how to identify, what to fear, what to ignore and how to appreciate.
- What to look for in regards to equine chiropractic care.
- All things related to hoof care.
- Nutrition by Nutrena: know your horses body type and what weight your horse is or should be.
- How to take quality photos of your horse.
- Learn how to clicker train your horse from home corral to out on the trail.
- PLUS enjoy horse camping and trail riding at Lopez Lake.
“I personally look forward to listening to the all participants sharing about the experience and what they learned,” says Jeannie. “I’m looking forward to seeing people smiling, laughing and having fun!”
The Black Bear Riders of Lopez Lake invite you to join in on the multi-educational horse camping fun at Black Bear Equestrian Camp.
Get in on the Horse Camping Fun
Horse camping is available for $100 per corral which includes Saturday night dinner and Sunday morning breakfast. Closing date for securing your camping spot with payment is July 8, 2022. 18 corrals are available for horse camping. Trailer and car parking usually isn’t a problem, but there is an entrance fee into Lopez Campgrounds*. Please bring your own chair, food/snacks and drinks. Plenty of room for tents and rigs of all sizes.
Day visitors and auditors are welcome for a donation to Black Bear Riders who maintain the camp.
Send payment to Karen Johandes – 1055 Via Chula Robles, Arroyo Grande, CA 93420
*Please note: there is a very minimal day use fee to enter Lopez Lake Campgrounds of $10.00 per vehicle for parking, plus a $3.50 per animal fee. Purchasing an annual vehicle pass (good at other SLO county locations), and an annual animal pass can save you some money if you become a regular visitor to this beautiful area.
For more information, please call Jeannie at 805.481.1665
Go Horse Camping! Explore the wonder and beauty of the SLO County trails from the best place on earth, the back of a horse. You and your friends and family plus horses can camp right next to the trails! To help you get packing, you can use this FREE Horse Camping packing checklist. We’ll continue to post horse camping stories on the SLO Horse News website. You can stay up-to-date by becoming a SLO Horse News herd member. Get your Horse Camping Checklist here >.