Wouldn’t you love to spend four nights and four days horse camping, enjoying fellow horseback riders, experiencing Montaña de Oro State Park all while supporting the Coastal Mounted Assistance group?
Well you can! Simply set aside October 5, – October 9, 2017 and then get your registration in for a fun-filled camping excursion at the Montaña de Oro State park.
Your horse camping experience will include, an obstacle course on Saturday, a Pot Luck dinner on Saturday night, a Sunday BBQ and Poker Ride (ribbon or guided) with Poker hands and really great prizes from local businesses. The ride functions as a fundraiser for the Central Coast State Parks Association. It helps raise money to keep up the horse camp in Montaña de Oro.
What Does the Coastal Mounted Assistance of Montana de Oro Do?
The Coast Mounted Assistance (CMA) was established in 1973 by a local group of local San Luis Obispo County equestrians who originally assisted State Park employees to map and construct the trails system within Montaña de Oro State Park. Today, this volunteer organization is part of the California State Parks Volunteers in Parks Program (VIPP).
The purpose of the CMA organization is outlined in its charter as follows:
- Assist park visitors by answering any questions they may have. This is an especially valuable service since there is no kiosk or information booth at the entrance to Montaña de Oro State Park.
- Patrol the beaches and trails within the park boundaries.
- Report any unusual situations and alert Park Rangers to violations of park rules and regulations.
- Gather information on trail conditions and report any changes to flora and fauna.
- Maintain and/or construct trails as approved by the California Department of Parks and Recreation.
- Assist in the improvement and maintenance of the Hazard Horse Camp facilities at Montaña de Oro State Park.
How Can You Get in on the Horse Camping Fun?
Get your registration in and mark off your calendar for Thursday, October 5th through Monday October 9th. The ride will take place at Montaña de Oro Horse Camp: $60.00 for 1 truck, 1 trailer, 1 horse, 1 corral for Thursday to Monday, including Poker Ride/ BBQ/ Poker hand.
You can also bring your horse and come for just the day on Sunday to enjoy the Poker Ride and BBQ plus get one poker hand for $30.00.
The Pre-Registration date is September 29. A $10 late fee will apply after that. For CMA ride registration and information use this link > CMA Montana de Oro Poker Ride Registration
Contact Lynda Roeller at CMA4MDO@gmail.com for additional information and questions.
Go Camping! Explore the wonder and beauty of the SLO County trails from the best place on earth, the back of a horse. You and your friends and your horses can camp right next to the trails! To help you get packing, you can use this FREE Horse Camping packing checklist. We’ll continue to post horse camping stories on the SLO Horse News website. You can stay up-to-date by becoming a SLO Horse News herd member. Get your Horse Camping Checklist here >.